Should I bring a zoom lens or prime lens to a parade?

I have to say that so far, this is one of my favorite photographs of the 2011 Coney Island Mermaid Parade. And this image was caught with Nikon's 18-55mm f4-5.6 zoom lens.

It's a kit lens.

This year the parade was chock-full-of-photographers. In fact, there were so many photographers that the costumed parade-goers often looked confused and slightly overwhelmed.

One thing I would suggest if you're in this situation as a photographer is to definitely bring a zoom lens. While the prime lens will produce wicked sharp images, the chances of you actually getting the composition that you want is slim.

Why?

Take the 2011 Coney Island Mermaid Parade for example: there were so many photographers in the way that when I moved, I bumped into other photographers who were right on top of me. Within an hour I switched back to my D80 with the zoom. The zoom - as a matter of fact - that is a KIT lens. Folks may scoff at kit lenses but I was able to get a few royal shots that are already awarded on Flickr.

Small yaye! More tips to come...

Happy Shooting!

Adrienne



Via Flickr:
2011 Coney Island Mermaid Parade
Coney Island, New York

www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml

For the full set of high resolution, printable images of the 2011 Coney Island Mermaid Parade, please go to

www.adriennebrandphotography.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voodoo Jungle Band

In the Mulberry Mulch